|Release Date||October 31, 2014|
|Elemental Affinity||◾Primary: Dark |
|Base Rarity||Rare (Holiday)|
|Color||Black, gray, orange, white|
|Spriters ||Birdzgoboom, |
Desipis Dragons, or Halloween 2014 Dragons, were the Holiday species given out during Halloween of 2014. Unlike dragons of other holidays, Halloween dragons can be either male or female and do not have a scroll limit set for them. They are only capable of producing more Desipis eggs during a certain period when Halloween is celebrated in October. They can still be bred to all year round, producing their partner's breed of egg.
The lack of a scroll limit for Halloween dragons was explained during one year's event by TJ09: "In the words of the pumpkin dragon's creator, Christmas and Valentine's Day are about giving, but Halloween is about grabbing as much candy for yourself as you can".
Under the old Breed sort, these dragons sorted as "Halloween 2014 Dragon" on a user's scroll. As of August 14, 2016, they now sort using their Encyclopedia name.
Official Dragon DescriptionsEdit
"Being near this egg makes it hard to think clearly."
"Aww... It’s a cute baby dragon. You have trouble focusing when it gets angry."
"Aww... It’s a cute baby dragon. You have trouble focusing when it gets angry.
And look! It has grown wings! It must be close to maturing."
"Desipis Dragons are an extremely dangerous breed, synonymous with the paths of desolation they leave in their wakes. These gargantuan beasts are infamous for their innate ability to control and manipulate the minds of others, which they use to pulverize the sanities of their foes and forge false memories. This power is especially effective on the foolish, and only the strongest-willed individuals have been known to resist a Desipis’s cunning. Most who anger Desipises do not live to tell the tale. Desipis Dragons are especially feared for their uncanny power of absorbing the magic of others with the fire they breathe and converting it into the bright reserves of crystallized mana that decorate their bodies."
Sprites No Longer In-UseEdit
|Temporary Holiday Sprites|
|Stage 0||Stage 1||Stage 2||Stage 3||Stage 4||Stage 5||Dead|
- Desipises’ mouths extend part of the way down their necks to make swallowing large prey easier.
- Like their mouths, their club-like tails can stretch open, revealing the muscles and tissue holding their orbs of crystallized magi mana in place.
- Their mana-infused eyes are directly in front of small mana reserves, commonly mistaken to be second and third pairs of eyes.
- Their wings are too small to properly support them in flight, so they rely largely on magic to be able to fly.
- They have the ability to flare and retract the hoods on their necks, usually raising them to appear more intimidating or to block out sunlight from behind.
- Their bones and scales are rich with dark mana, while the orange crystals are rich with magi mana. However, their bones contain a much lower concentration of mana than their other reserves.
- The two large spikes protruding from their shoulders allow them to charge enemies, serving as powerful weapons.
- The fire they breathe doesn’t actually burn—it saps away the magic energy of whatever it touches and transfers it to the Desipis.
- They somehow distort the minds of those around them, but seem unable to control this power.
- Desipis hatchlings are more violent and sadistic than those of most other breeds, often attacking small animals for pleasure.
- They seem to have a way of getting into the good books of your adult dragons, even though their behavior would be deemed unacceptable by many of them.
- They sometimes pick on the hatchlings of smaller breeds, exerting dominance over them at even the youngest of ages.
- Some have a way of forcing their peers to bend to their every whim, likely their mental magic at work.
- They don’t seem able to fly, but sometimes use magic to levitate for brief periods of time.
- They have quite the temper, being angered very easily.
- Desipises are left in an especially weakened and disoriented state when exposed to a nullifying field of magic, such as that of a Cassare.
- Their aggressive and destructive capabilities have led to many tall tales and myths, a large portion of which label them living incarnations of malevolence and destruction.
- As adults, they are able to control their mind-altering powers, often abusing them for manipulative, malicious purposes.
- When they feel threatened or are angered, they will open their jaws and tails as well as stretch their wings in order to appear larger and even more intimidating.
- Their roar is comparable to a crashing waterfall, often heard from many miles away.
- During mating season, male Desipises will compete for females through battles of mental magic, trying to coerce the other into backing down.
- A female will sometimes dismiss a suitor she deems unworthy by overpowering him with her superior mental magic, combining her powers with that of her chosen mate and obliterating the cognitive function of the reject for a short time.
- When their mana has been depleted, they grow very weak and sluggish, needing replenish their reserves quickly.
- Desipises prefer to live in desolate areas, but are adaptive to most environments and can be found in almost any type of terrain.
- Not many other animals live near Desipises; they tend to temporarily destroy parts of the environments they live in when they are angry.
- Both genders are very territorial, but the females more so than the males.
- They create nests for eggs by digging holes in the ground and lining them with ash, fallen leaves, sand, or whatever other soft litter they can find near their homes.
- Because their dark scales conduct heat so well, they prefer living in places with lots of cover from the harsh sunlight, such as caves or forests.
- Due to the high amounts and differing types of mana present inside Desipises, it is not uncommon for the vegetation near their homes to wilt or mutate.
- Some Desipises force neighboring animals to become guards of sorts, enchanting them so that they notify the Desipis of any intruders.
- Wholly carnivorous, these beasts are known to eat most anything that can move, including other dragons when necessary.
- They tend to ignore smaller animals, going after large prey to get more satisfying meals.
- Desipises occasionally search for magical creatures to eat, as consuming those with magic in their blood helps them replenish their bodily mana supplies.
- Desipis is a word in Latin that means "insane", referencing how it would be a foolish idea to confront an untamed Desipis, or how they have a mind-affecting aura.
- TJ09 secured four Desipises with the codes: Spoky, scary, skltn and shivr.
Breed Name: Desipis Dragon
Dragon Type: Western
Size: ~23 feet tall, ~45 feet long, ~35 foot wingspan (relies mostly on magic for flight)
Colors: Black, gray, bright orange, bone white
birdzgoboom’s Alts: Navy blue, black, mint green, and pale blue
PieMaster’s Alts: Greenish black, greenish gray, neon green, and pale yellow
As shown on their sprites and concept art, their mouths extend into their necks to make it easier to consume large prey, and their tails have a similar function of splitting so that they can make themselves look larger and more intimidating. The bands of muscle connecting the top and bottom parts of their mouths are incredibly strong and thick, making them hard to puncture or sever.
Desipises are known to be quite temperamental, often unleashing their wrath in bursts of their magic-draining flames. This gives them more strength and helps replenish their mana reserves, which tends to calm them down, but can harm the environments where they live. For this reason, many dragons avoid areas inhabited by Desipises.
Desipis Dragons are rawrscary and are often found on the holidayofbooghostpumpkin (which is nowing).
Females tend to possess richer reserves of mana than males, providing them with more strength for performing spells and making their mental magic harder to resist. Their scales and bones are rich with their own dark mana, and they sap magic from others using their flames. This sapped mana is then processed and crystallized, creating the pure, bright crystals that develop on their tails and bodies. The amount of crystals can vary between each dragon because of this.
Their mind-breaking powers are unmatched and often fatal. However, because of their heavy reliance on magic for everything other than brute force, they are not fond of the Cassares or any other magic-deadening creatures and objects.
The name “Desipis” was chosen because of how foolish one would have to be to approach such a dangerous and twisted dragon, especially if it is untamed.
Much more info to come via the encyclopedia!
- Regarding how humans can keep owned Desipises under control:
- I imagine that only more experienced dragonkeepers would raise Desipises, as they are probably on the more dangerous side of things, as far as dragons go. As shown in the 2014 Halloween event, it's possible for a human to create their own nullifying field of magic, so I assume that it would be possible to weaken or stop their telepathic abilities if needed. Remember that dragons tend to trust those who raise them anyway, though, so it's likely that they'll respect their human friends' wishes and not cause too much damage. Larger breeds like the Desipis would probably be in small numbers in the 'actual' Valkemare as opposed to 'game' Valkemare, though; otherwise, the ecosystem wouldn't be able to support them. Because of that, they probably wouldn't occur in captivity very often.
- Regarding Desipises flight:
- Some concepts are designed to be heavily reliant on mana to fly. The Desipises, for example, were intentionally given smaller-than-usual wings and the attribute that mana is a large portion of how they fly.