|Release Date||May 21, 2006|
|Elemental Affinity||Life |
|Spriters ||Dovealove, |
Purple Dragons are one of the original species of Dragon Cave. They were previously one of the few female-only breeds, but this changed during a major update on March 26, 2010, where males (along with new male sprites) were introduced, allowing Purple dragons to be influenced for the first time.
As of June 10, 2011, Purple dragons have the breed specific action "Fertility", which increases the chances of a successful breeding attempt, though it does not influence what the species of the egg will be. Fertility has a cooldown of two weeks and cannot be stacked for additional chances. The effect stays with a dragon until it is used. Following an update on August 14, 2016, Fertility is now able to significantly reduce the chance of refusals during breeding.
Official Dragon DescriptionsEdit
"Wow, purple isn't a color of egg you expected to see."
"Aww... It's a cute baby dragon. It’s extremely curious and seems to enjoy exploring the area around it."
"Aww... It's a cute baby dragon. It’s extremely curious and seems to enjoy exploring the area around it.
And look! It has grown wings! It must be close to maturing."
"It was previously believed that purple dragons were exclusively female, but this is not the case. Recent environmental shifts have revealed the existence of both genders of this breed. Female behavior is well known; they are primarily herbivores but will eat meat during mating season. On the other hand, very little is known about the behavior and habits of male purple dragons."
- Dovealove (Adult Female)
- Hawaiianbabidoll (Adult Female)
- Nakase (Adult Male)
- Lighthealer (Hatchlings)
Sprites No Longer In-UseEdit
|Temporary Holiday Sprites|
|Old Egg Sequence
|Old Dead Egg
|Stage 0||Stage 1||Stage 2||Stage 3||Stage 4||Stage 5||Dead|
- Once their wings have grown, males appear to have an extra growth on their face and stockier builds. This difference is subtle at first, but becomes more apparent with age.
- The amount of green on the tail and head appendages seems to vary from individual to invidual. Some barely have any green at all while others are only half yellow.
- The purple dragon has no scales on the underside of the wing, but the outer side is coated with very fine purple scales.
- The tail is almost whip like. Could it be used to hunt prey?
- Females and males look completely the same as hatchlings. It is difficult to tell them apart until they mature.
- The scales of the dragons are a more vibrant, polished purple during mating season. Especially the scales of the males who have only just reached sexual maturity.
- Gender doesn’t seem to have an effect on hatchling behavior.
- They chase their tails a lot before maturity, but since their tails are prehensile, they end up running in circles with their tails in their mouths most of the time.
- Hatchlings that have grown their wings and whiskers are fond of play hunting.
- Hatchlings tend to get anxious when separated from an adult.
- Hatchlings do not gain any green coloration until they reach sexual maturity.
- Young dragons love to be rubbed right at the base of their head appendages.
- Clawing at the tree bark and scraping at the rocks is a group activity for purple hatchlings to keep their nails in check.
- It seems that dragons choose new mates every breeding season.
- The length of the male’s whiskers varies immensely. This has some sort of influence on which males are chosen by the females to breed.
- Whiskers of medium length appear to get the most attention from females. Short whiskers or overly long whiskers don’t seem to be as popular during the breeding season.
- A male only stays with his mate until her egg hatches, then he leaves and she joins the other nursing females.
- Female adults are very attentive to young hatchlings, especially if they have an egg or hatchling of their own.
- Since there is such a large population of purple dragons, and they are so well-distributed, there is little inbreeding among wild populations.
- Tend to prefer areas with more greenery.
- Breeding season tends to occur in areas that are shaded from constant sun.
- While females prefer vegetation, males prefer meat, which is why the female tends to eat meat during mating season: it is given as a gift from her mate.
- Love to have fresh fruit as a snack.
- The original adult sprite is a recolor of a sprite from the now defunct adoptables site, pickle-green.com.
- It is unknown when the change was made, but this dragon's previous hatchling description was as follows:
- "Aww... It's a cute baby dragon. You think it's a girl, although you're not sure how to check."
- Before the male of the species was introduced, the adult description of the Purple dragon was as follows:
- "Purple dragons are one of the few all-female breeds of dragons. Their bright colors make them easy to spot during mating season. They are primarily herbivores, but eat meat during mating season when it is brought to them by a mate. Mating seasons occur once every 200 years and can last up to 2 years."